DANGER!!! Problems with 10.04 installer (RAID devices *will* get corrupted)

Alvin Thompson alvin at thompsonlogic.com
Thu Apr 22 15:45:49 UTC 2010

On 04/22/2010 09:57 AM, Rashkae wrote:
> No, what we're saying is that the bug in 191119 is something completely
> different to what is being reported, (and indeed, 191119 is in no way a
> Ubuntu bug, it's just simply fact that without the windows proprietary
> drivers, hard drives on those controllers will be seen by the os as
> individual HD's and not part of an array, and making any change to the
> HD, including installing the bootloader, will break it. deal)

If you knew how RAID works, you would know that RAID controllers add a
'RAID superblock' to devices added to a RAID array to let others know
that the devices are being used.  I guess they didn't mention that when
you quickly skimmed the Wikipedia article to get your 'expert'
knowledge?  The problem is that the ubuntu installer is ignoring the
RAID superblock.  Please don't talk about things if you don't know how
they work, because it will lead people to think that you're one of those
people who is an idiot but doesn't realize it.