Overscan? On HDTV used as monitor

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 22 15:15:41 UTC 2010

On 23/04/10 01:00, Pete S wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 00:35:58 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>

>> On 22/04/10 22:04, Pete S wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a 32" HDTV to use as a monitor on my pc, unfortunately the tv
>>> overscans (when the desktop is too big for the screen). I have framed
>>> the desktop with toolbars to reduce the overall size of the usable
>>> desktop, however would like a more elegant solution!
>>>
>>> I believe this is possible using custom modelines in my xorg.conf file,
>>> but have no idea what they should be! Prior to experimenting on my own
>>> I thought I would ask if anyone else had encountered similar problems,
>>> and if so how to overcome them!
>>>
>>> On xp the graphics card driver (nvidia 6600) has a 'underscan' option
>>> but I can find nothing similar in Ubuntu? Is this going to be added in
>>> Lucid? if it is then I will wait for a few days!
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks in Advance
>>>
>>> Pete
>>>

>> I am using the 6600 nvidia card but do not have to go into the sort of
>> configuration you seem to need to do.
>>
>> Have you installed the nVidia driver or still using the default (nv)
>> driver which is installed by default when Ubuntu is installed?
>>
>> If you have installed the driver (System<Adminisstration>Hardware
>> Drivers) then you will find the controls for the driver on the top
>> taskbar in System>Administration>Nvidia Settings. Have a look there to
>> see if what you are looking for is shown there.
>>
>> HTH.
>>
>> BC
>>
> Hi,
>
> I am running the restricted driver and have been through the settings
> given in nvidia settings with no luck although I am curious what the
> 'panning' section is for could this be the answer?

No idea :-) . Never had to do any fiddling with the nVidia settings. The
defaults have always worked for me over the many years I've used nVidia.

BC

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                                                     Galileo Galilei