Getting rid of 'balloons' - SOLVED (?almost?)

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 22 15:11:34 UTC 2010

On 20/04/10 21:22, Basil Chupin wrote:
> I am getting most annoyed by having balloons come up everytime I put the
> cursor over an icon. I KNOW what the icon is about when I put the cursor
> on it and I don't want the darn balloon not only popping up but also
> obscuring the text or whatever under it. I mean a balloon even comes up
> "telling" me to login as<name>  - I know who I am!
>
> Is there any way to switch off these 'balloons'?
>
> (Using Ubuntu Lucid Beta 2.)

Many thanks to all those who contributed to this thread and provided the
answer for me.

Doing:

hit alt+f2, run gconf-editor, navigate>  to /apps/panel/global/tooltips_enabled .... uncheck the box ...

does the trick - at least it got rid of the balloons as they appeared on the*top*  taskbar. The ones on the bottom taskbar still appear  :-(.

What now would be nice is to be able to also get rid of them from applications, say, Firefox and Thunderbird where, again, they are a pest. But perhaps with at least FF and TB there may already be some setting which I don't know about which stops the balloons from being activated.

BC

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                                                     Galileo Galilei