Which dot-matrix printer will work on my Ubuntu 9.10 machine - Old Hardware Warning

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 15:06:19 UTC 2010

On 04/22/2010 02:08 AM, Ian Coetzee wrote:
> On 2010/04/22 05:24 AM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
>> On 04/21/2010 11:02 PM, Rashkae wrote:
>>

>>> There are few reasons to use dot matrix printers anymore besides support
>>> for the plethora of legacy software.  Sure, carbon copy is oft. cited,
>>> but I seriously doubt carbon copy paper is less expensive than simply
>>> spitting out 2 copies collated.  While it's true that lots of things
>>> have taken me by surprise over the years, I would be floored to find
>>> someone actually manufacturing a dot matrix printer that doesn't support
>>> the legacy emulation.  (ps, all the epson usb dot matrix printers I see
>>> also support at least parallel, and sevleral models, serial. )
>>>

>> [snip]
>>
>> I don't know of any dot matrix printers being made today. Most of that
>> tech.
>> was replaced by band printers......132 column stuff. Home and small office
>> dot matrix printers died a long time ago.
>>
>> Fred
>>

> Eh hem....
>
> I use a dot-matrix at home. Why? Its the cheapest method of printing for
> me, atleast. I worry about the cost of paper, not the ink, whereas if I
> were to use a inkjet or laser, the ink would be my main concern.
>
> However we are veering off-topic here :)
>
> To get this on-topic again, some feedback. Uhm ye I have non :)
>
> Thanks for all the suggestions, still in the process of organising one
> of the printers.
>
> Regards
> Ian

     I have a Brother model HL-1440 which is old. I know that. I used
the original ink shipped with the printer in a year. I bought a new ink
container which was much larger than the original. To date it still
prints great and is the best printer I have ever had. And cheap at Wal Mart.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User