Overscan? On HDTV used as monitor

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 22 14:35:58 UTC 2010

On 22/04/10 22:04, Pete S wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 32" HDTV to use as a monitor on my pc, unfortunately the tv
> overscans (when the desktop is too big for the screen). I have framed the
> desktop with toolbars to reduce the overall size of the usable desktop,
> however would like a more elegant solution!
>
> I believe this is possible using custom modelines in my xorg.conf file,
> but have no idea what they should be! Prior to experimenting on my own I
> thought I would ask if anyone else had encountered similar problems, and
> if so how to overcome them!
>
> On xp the graphics card driver (nvidia 6600) has a 'underscan' option but
> I can find nothing similar in Ubuntu? Is this going to be added in Lucid?
> if it is then I will wait for a few days!
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Pete

I am using the 6600 nvidia card but do not have to go into the sort of
configuration you seem to need to do.

Have you installed the nVidia driver or still using the default (nv)
driver which is installed by default when Ubuntu is installed?

If you have installed the driver (System<Adminisstration>Hardware
Drivers) then you will find the controls for the driver on the top
taskbar in System>Administration>Nvidia Settings. Have a look there to
see if what you are looking for is shown there.

HTH.

BC

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                                                     Galileo Galilei