Need email server aid

Chuck Kuecker ckuecker at ckent.org
Thu Apr 22 14:10:06 UTC 2010

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> 22.04.2010 01:18, Chuck Kuecker:
>

>> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>>
>>> 21.04.2010 18:41, Chuck Kuecker:
>>>
> <snip>
>> Here's the data:
>>
>> postconf -n:
>>
>> lias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
>>

> Copy and paste error?

Yep. My bad.
> <snip>
>> mail.ckent.org[66.254.194.29]
>>

> Above, you said that the embedded system is in your local network. But
> this log excerpt shows a client connecting from 66.254.194.29, i. e. an
> IP that is neither in 127.0.0.0/8 nor 192.168.0.0/16. Therefore it's not
> contained in the IP ranges you configured as mynetworks and
> permit_mynetworks doesn't apply.

OK. I see that. 66.254.194.29 is my static IP from my ISP. When I
resolve 'mail.ckent.org', that's what comes up. I certainly don't want
just anyone sending email to that IP to be able to relay!

This is what confuses me - my Windoze PC has Thunderbird set up to
access email via 'mail.ckent.org', and it's on my local network, just
like the embedded gadget and the Linux box hosting 'mail.ckent.org'. Why
does the PC connect reliably, but the embedded gadget fails reliably?

Chuck Kuecker