Need email server aid

Chuck Kuecker ckuecker at ckent.org
Thu Apr 22 14:03:44 UTC 2010

Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Thursday, April 22, 2010 08:45 AM, Hal Burgiss wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Christopher Chan
>> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>  wrote:
>>

>>> That's not a unknown sender domain problem, that's postfix doing the
>>> right thing. I suspect the OP forgot to enable authentication on his
>>> mail client.
>>>
>> But why would he want to do that with an embedded system on a LAN?
>> Simpler just to use ip based authentication.
>>

> Embedded systems do support setting up smtp authentication. His system's
> ip was not exactly internal you know...

My device better be internal now! If somehow my 192.168.0.x net is
available to the world, I need to know about it!

device at ckent.org is an arbitrary email address I gave the gadget to let
me know where an email is coming from. there's no DNS resolution for
device.ckent.org.

As long as the gadget can contact an arbitrary email server to send and
receive, ultimately, I'm doing OK. If this requires more than the really
simple code I am playing with, I have no problem adding a package to
handle that - I just want to get the smallest package possible.

Chuck Kuecker