DANGER!!! Problems with 10.04 installer (RAID devices *will* get corrupted)

Alvin Thompson alvin at thompsonlogic.com
Thu Apr 22 05:32:54 UTC 2010

OK, let me put this in a way that hopefully everyone will understand:
It is completely irrelevant *how* your array is assembled.  The problem
is that the installer writes directly to a disk or partition in the
array, instead of going through the virtual device that whatever is
handling the array provides.  It doesn't matter if your array is
assembled via a hardware controller, via fake RAID, software RAID, or if
little elves from Neptune do it.  If the data on one of the devices
comprising the array has been corrupted, the entire array is compromised.

Yes, I know the difference between hardware RAID and firmware RAID, but
since user-space linux programs like the installer don't know the
difference, it has nothing to do with the issue.