Which dot-matrix printer will work on my Ubuntu 9.10 machine - Old Hardware Warning

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Apr 22 03:02:38 UTC 2010

Dedhi Sujatmiko wrote:
> On Thursday 15,April,2010 10:01 PM, Rashkae wrote:
>> The pertinent details are whether the printer is standard width or wide
>> carriage, and 9-pin vs. 24-pin.  So generally, you only have 4 possible
>> configurations to deal with.
>>

> That is very true. However, connecting dot matrix printer into current
> Ubuntu has its own problem, which is connectivity.
> 1. I notice there are dot matrix printer, I think made by Epson, which
> has USB only connector. It may not be using the same emulation as the
> paralel port dot matrix printer

There are few reasons to use dot matrix printers anymore besides support
for the plethora of legacy software.  Sure, carbon copy is oft. cited,
but I seriously doubt carbon copy paper is less expensive than simply
spitting out 2 copies collated.  While it's true that lots of things
have taken me by surprise over the years, I would be floored to find
someone actually manufacturing a dot matrix printer that doesn't support
the legacy emulation.  (ps, all the epson usb dot matrix printers I see
also support at least parallel, and sevleral models, serial. )

> 2. For the paralel port dot matrix printer, current motherboard or
> laptop usually are not carrying this port anymore and people need to use
> the USB to LPT converter, which introduces another problem regarding its
> driver and compatibility.

Granted, but that won't really affect the discussion about which model
of printer to purchase.