DANGER!!! Problems with 10.04 installer (RAID devices *will* get corrupted)

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 01:47:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 21:26, Alvin Thompson <alvin at thompsonlogic.com> wrote:
> On 04/21/2010 08:54 PM, Xander Pirdy wrote:
>> I have posted a bug report, it can be found here:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/568183.
>
> I just looked at the original issue #191119 and, are they serious?  This
> issue was reported OVER TWO F**KING YEARS AGO, confirmed by multiple
> people, and no one of the developers even bothered to look at it?  And
> no mention of it in the release notes?

If all these are indeed the same thing happening, there is nothing to
really be done about it.  If this is the case, and now after reading
the other bugs mentioned, it seems so (especially since you never
actually told us what kind of hardware you have, so we have to guess
at what the root cause really is), the problem is really the fault of
whichever company made the onboard controller.

Onboard RAID is not real RAID... it's referred to as FakeRAID.  On a
"real" hardware RAID setup, everything is handled by the controller
itself and to the BIOS and OS (regardless of OS) the raid device
appears as however many LUNs you have configured.

With these stupid onboard controllers, what you really have is just a
hard disk controller and a driver that contains code to lie to the
computer and OS, telling them that "Oh don't look behind the curtain,
this really is a RAID device".  And you get problems EXACTLY like what
we've got here.

More importantly, you can not blame Ubuntu for this as it was an issue
LONG before Ubuntu even existed.  It affects, best I can tell, EVERY
Linux distro and variant in existance.  Why? Because the companies
that make these fake raid controllers don't create usable Linux
drivers.  They put all the magic fakeRAID code in their proprietary
drivers (e.g. Windows) but do not put them in any Open Source driver
they release (and it's never been successfully implemented in a
pure-community developed driver either, to my knowledge).

There MAY be Linux driver from one of the companies that make this
stuff out there, but i've never seen one.

See this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks#Firmware.2Fdriver-based_RAID_.28.22FakeRAID.22.29