Download packages and dependencies from another computer

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 21 20:25:34 UTC 2010

On 04/20/2010 10:27 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Is there a tool which will download a .deb packages and all it's
> dependencies (and dependencies' dependencies) to removable media? I
> have a machine not connected to the network that needs some packages,
> but they all have a dependency chain.
>
> I have seen AptOnCD, but it does not seem to handle dependencies
> unless the packages are installed on the downloading computer. Is
> there a better way?
>
> Thanks!

Perhaps:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Offline
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/AptOff
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Offline/Repository
will work for you?

For a single package, why not just look at the package dependency
requirements and download the dependencies independently? Example:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/net/apt-mirror
- check to see if you have/need:
  adduser
  perl
  perl-modules
  wget
Don't have perl-modules? Click on that dependency and download:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/perl-modules
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/all/perl-modules/download
and that is the .deb for perl-modules -
<http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/p/perl/perl-modules_5.10.0-24ubuntu4_all.deb>