Please

user1 bqz69 at telia.com
Wed Apr 21 08:05:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 00:39:31 -0700, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:

> Welcome

I find it easier to use a newsreader (I use Pan, as it has worked very
well for me) instead of certain e-mail clients for managing mailing
lists.

Install Pan using synaptic (in ubuntu).

Add as news server:

Pan - Edit - Edit News Servers - Add - "news.gmane.org"

Add your e-mail address:

Pan - Edit - Edit Posting Profiles - "your e-mail address"

Then Search for e.g. "gmane.linux.ubuntu.user" as group name (use
search box top left in Pan) and then right click on the found list and
choose "subscribe".

Please note, that there is thousands of other mailing list groups out
there, and also a lot of other news servers.

gmane.linux.ubuntu.user (is the group for ubuntu-users mailing list)

Practical setup items:

Pan - Edit - Edit Preferences - Behaviour - Groups - mark "Get new
headers in subscribed groups on start up".

Pan - Groups - Get headers - select Get all headers - Execute
This item makes it very important, that ALL subject lines in all posts to
be very DESCRIPTIVE. Then it will be possible to search very distinct for
answers. That is if you have all headers of a newsgroup downloaded in
Pan, you can more easily find your answers. Search in subject lines is
done in top right search box in Pan.
This item has to be done each time you want all groups (maybe a bug).

Pan - View - Header Pane - Choose "Thread Headers" (to sort articles by
threads (toggle on/of)).

When you post/follow up first time you will receive an e-mail asking
you to reply to the mail (to verify that you are you), and when you have
done that you are up to use
the mailing list group using Pan.

This should be done for each new newsgroup you subscribe to.

Using Pan for your mailing lists also give you a much better overview of
your mailing lists I think.

Sorry that I repeat the usefullness of Pan, but it took me several years
to find out how much more easy it is for me to use Pan for your mailing
lists -
a very important "weapon" for getting help in the linux world I find.

###

If anybody has problems with a certain thread/author and use Pan
newsreader they can do:

Select the article and then choose:

Pan - Ignore - Thread
or
Pan - Ignore - Author

Then they get rid of the culprit/s *humor*

See also this link:      http://kb.iu.edu/data/afhc.html

###

Here is a small list of a few mailing lists I find important:
gmane.linux.ubuntu.user (ubuntu-users)
gmane.comp.audio.audacity.general (audacity-users)
gmane.network.freenet.support

###

Please note that this is a template message, made to help avoiding "flame
wars" on mailing lists.