DANGER!!! Problems with 10.04 installer (RAID devices *will* get corrupted)

Grizzly Real_Grizz_Adams at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 21 06:15:04 UTC 2010

On 21 April 2010 at 0:30, Alvin Thompson
Enlightened me with this:-DANGER!!!  Problems with 10.04 inst

>Long story short: the only way to be safe right now is to physically
>remove drives with important data during the install.
>
>I figured out the cause of my RAID problems, and it's a problem with
>ubuntu's installer.  This will cost people their data if not fixed.
>Sorry about the length of this post, but the problem takes a while to
>explain.

<snipped>

I had the same(ish) prob without RAID, I (not wanting to lose data) turned OFF
my main (NTFS / XP) data drives in BIOS, tried to do the install to a USB HD

Only to find that my main data drive had been over written by the failed
install

I only mention this again to point out that not only RAID arrays are at risk