Install question about partitioner behavior

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 01:50:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM,  <p.echols at comcast.net> wrote:
> I am installing Karmic on a new netbook.
>
> I want to leave the windows 7 partition for now and resize.  I also want to create a separate "home" partition.
>
> If I use the manual partitioner, select the windows 7 partition, it does not explicitly say that it is going to resize the partition.  Instead I get a dialog that asks for partition size, how I want to use it, (default "is do not use") and offers to format or not.  Obviously I do not want to format, but does anyone know whether this action will resize the existing partition?
>
> Also, what is the "default" ubuntu file system. still ext3?
>
> Thanks
>
> --PE

You have to defrag the Windows partition with the built-in tool or
something like http://www.mydefrag.com/. Then you could use Gparted
Live CD (CD in a netbook? Don't know about these things, I'm a desktop
man) to resize the Windows partition to the desired size. Then, still
using GParted, you can create a secondary partition on the remaining
space, and in it create as many logical partitions as you wish. For
instance, an independent area for the swap windows file, so that you
can defrag it even more, and the Linux partitions, at least / root,
/home and /swap.

While installing Ubuntu, at the partition procedure, (always) choose
manual and use the partitions already created, naming and formatting
them.

ext4 is the latest format available.

Good luck,

L.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.:  23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W