Getting rid of 'balloons'

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 19:14:05 UTC 2010

On 04/20/2010 12:25 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Karl Larsen<klarsen1 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 04/20/2010 12:16 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>>> 9.10, the Karmic Koala, although I don't understand your reference to,
>>> "no apps in 10.04."  Doesn't an OS need apps (applications, packages)
>>> in order to /do/ anything?
>>>

>> Perhaps it is your shorthand. Does /apps/ mean Applications?  I
>> must be pretty dense because I was looking for a directory /apps/.
>>
>> My 10.04 has no directory /apps/ that I can find. I even tried
>> /usr/apps/
>>
> This is within gconf!

         I did this and found zero /apps/:

karl at Lucid:~$ cd gconf
bash: cd: gconf: No such file or directory
karl at Lucid:~$ whereis gconf
gconf: /etc/gconf /usr/share/gconf
karl at Lucid:~$ cd /etc/gconf
karl at Lucid:/etc/gconf$ ls
2  gconf.xml.defaults  gconf.xml.mandatory  gconf.xml.system
karl at Lucid:/etc/gconf$ cd
karl at Lucid:~$ cd /usr/share/gconf
karl at Lucid:/usr/share/gconf$ ls
default.path  default.path.md5sum  defaults  mandatory  schemas
karl at Lucid:/usr/share/gconf$

     So where is /apps/?

73 Karl

--