Upgrading from a VM to a HD partition possible?

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 17:53:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> wrote:

> I already have Lucid running on VirtualBox (actually, three instances)
> and would like to upgrade to Lucid on my hard drive but without having
> to DL all of that which has already been DLed.  Is there a way?
>
> Google has lots of info for going the other way and creating a VM from
> an existing hard drive but I find nothing about what I would like to
> attempt.
>
> Can it be as easy as putting all the info from the
> VM's /var/cache/apt/archives into the hard drive's same file?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard
> --

I have never done this before and there may be a much better way.
That said, this is what comes to mind:

Have a look at this:

http://www.tolaris.com/2008/10/01/moving-your-linux-root-partition-to-raid/

It is a guide on moving your root partition from a single drive to a
raid 1 array.  The main part of interest for you would be moving the
root partition.  Assuming you have two hard drives (which may be a big
assumption), you could basically copy the partition table and data via
rsync like it talks about in the above guide from the VM to the blank
hard drive (either through shared folders or through the network).

Anyway, it might give you somethign to go on to see what all needs to
be moved and what should be re-created (like dev, proc, sys, etc.)

Hope this helps,

Preston