Getting rid of 'balloons'

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 20 16:40:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:06:32 -0700
Li Li <li2005lilly at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 10:55 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:51:41 +0200
> > Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> > > hit alt+f2, run gconf-editor, navigate
> > > to /apps/panel/global/tooltips_enabled .... uncheck the box ...
> > > does that suffice ?
> > >
> > > ciao
> > > 	oli
> >
> > Nope.  If it has any effect at all I have yet to notice it.  (mine
> > was already unchecked from long ago) I hope it isn't a thing for
> > which one needs to reboot...
> >
> Unfortunately, what oli suggests only applies to tool-tips for panel
> applets (that you add with "Add to Panel") not to things on the
> workplace switcher and the window list.  Tool-tips for the workplace
> switcher seem especially dumb to me -- "Click to start
> dragging ...."  I guess it is a Gnome thing.  Maybe it will go away
> with Gnome 3.0.

Not even those; Glipper's icon still tells me its pop-up shortcut, the
weather app still shows (abbreviated) current conditions... etc.  The
only one that doesn't have a pop-up bubble seems to be, "Force Quit."
(Karmic, BTW, I'm still trying Lucid in a VM)
In addition, my apps seem to have their own bubbles that I wish I could
stop.  For instance, Claws mail buttons each are descriptive of what
they do but each has a bubble that only reiterates what the button
already says but a little more in depth.

Cybe R. Wizard
	Winduhs