kqemu and Ubuntu

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at canonical.com
Tue Apr 13 15:20:52 UTC 2010

2010/4/13 Ante Karamatić <ivoks at grad.hr>:
> OK. So kqemu was dropped, that's fine. But what about systems that don't
> have VT-enabled hardware but would still like to use vmbuilder?
>
> In 8.04 it was possible to use 'ubuntu-vm-builder qemu hardy', but now
> only (forgetting about vmware and xen for a moment) 'vmbuilder kvm
> hardy' works. Without kvm module initialized, this operation fails. I'd
> like to have virtualized systems inside of already virtualized system
> (therefor, no hardware acceleration). Errors:
>
> libvir: Domain Config error : internal error no supported architecture
> for os type 'hvm'
>
> libvirt.libvirtError: internal error no supported architecture for os
> type 'hvm'
>
> Basically, vmbuilder does the whole work, but dies on XML generation (if
> you use --debug, you actually get to see generated xml). And if XML is
> created by hand, libvirt starts it with command:
>
> LC_ALL=C
> PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/bin
> QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/bin/qemu -S -M pc-0.12 -no-kvm -m 512 -smp 1
> -name test -uuid 7d78cbee-3832-ca61-ffdb-d3ec63c8db19 -chardev
> socket,id=monitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/test.monitor,server,nowait
> -monitor chardev:monitor -no-acpi -boot c -drive
> file=/home/ivoks/VM/test/tmpkP59W4.qcow2,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -net
> none -serial none -parallel none -usb -vnc 192.168.79.2:0 -vga cirrus
>
> And this fails (system never loads grub completely). But if 'boot=on'
> (in drive setup) is removed or replaced with 'boot=off' and then started
> by hand, everything works fine.
>
> Is all of this on purpose or is it a bug (or bugs)?

Sounds like a bug...

The kvm binary should currently fall back to running without
acceleration, if no acceleration is available.

kirkland at x200:/local/virt/iso$ sudo stop qemu-kvm
[sudo] password for kirkland:
qemu-kvm stop/waiting
kirkland at x200:/local/virt/iso$ time kvm -m 512 -cdrom lucid-desktop-amd64.iso
open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support

I should think that vmbuilder should be able to continue using qemu
(or kvm) in a non-accelerated manner.  I just booted a LiveCD without
KVM.  It worked, though it took a long time to boot (~10 minutes).

:-Dustin