Merge two small disks into one large

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 20 07:44:59 UTC 2010

On 20 April 2010 00:30, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 04/19/2010 01:06 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> Unfortunately I now realise (following a comment in one of the
>> replies) that my whole plan is flawed anyway.  The second stage of the
>> plan is to move to a new motherboard, and unfortunately, since Windows
>> is rubbish, that means I will have to re-install it anyway.  I think I
>> may look at VirtualBox rather than a dual boot system since I only
>> need Windows for a couple of legacy apps anyway.
>
> You may do that (use VirtualBox) - just be aware that the OSE version
> doesn't support usb, and that not all bits may work in VB as they do as
> a standalone install.

Thanks for that info, the reason I still need windows is to access a
couple of usb devices that only have windows support.  It looks like
VB is not an issue for me.

> For the most part you shouldn't have many
> problems, but there can be issues (video, drivers etc).
>  However before you do, why not just keep the Win drive as a second
> drive for awhile until you get the large disk settled in? That will at
> least give you the ability to boot to Win should something go terribly
> wrong during the inital stages.

That is not an option unfortunately.  I have for the moment moved my
existing disks over to the new mother board and as I feared XP will
not boot at all.  It seems I may have to re-install XP from scratch on
the new disk when it arrives.  At least I do not need network access
from XP so I do not need all the overheads of virus scanners and so
on.

Colin