Merge two small disks into one large

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 19 23:30:30 UTC 2010

On 04/19/2010 01:06 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> Unfortunately I now realise (following a comment in one of the
> replies) that my whole plan is flawed anyway.  The second stage of the
> plan is to move to a new motherboard, and unfortunately, since Windows
> is rubbish, that means I will have to re-install it anyway.  I think I
> may look at VirtualBox rather than a dual boot system since I only
> need Windows for a couple of legacy apps anyway.

You may do that (use VirtualBox) - just be aware that the OSE version
doesn't support usb, and that not all bits may work in VB as they do as
a standalone install. For the most part you shouldn't have many
problems, but there can be issues (video, drivers etc).
  However before you do, why not just keep the Win drive as a second
drive for awhile until you get the large disk settled in? That will at
least give you the ability to boot to Win should something go terribly
wrong during the inital stages.

  I was given a 200Gb drive by a friend, use that for Ubuntu, and kept
the 40Gb WinXPPro drive as the 2nd drive for troubleshooting & customer
support. I also have Win2KPro in VirtualBox on the 200Gb (this setup is
duplicated on 2 machines).
  Today, having that setup helped me resolve a bios problem. I'd updated
the bios on this machine; old Intel D865GBF motherboard that had Intel
P21 bios on it. The other duplicate machines had P25, so I figured I'd
get them all in sync w/P25. Turns out that this machine doesn't like
P25; every time that I'd shutdown the machine would restart instead of
shutting down. At first I thought it was something in Ubuntu (I test new
things daily on this machine), but after rebooting into WinXPPro I found
that OS also exhibited the same problem. Only way to resolve it was to
back the bios back down to P21.

I could have figured out the bios problem by testing with another linux
distro, or Knoppix etc. But having the same issue in Win pretty well put
the finger on the bios change. Why? Well as we all know, Win drivers
will ignore some hardware issues that a linux kernel doesn't. So chances
are that if a Win machine exhibits the same symptoms, then it's a good
bet that it's not the OS causing the problem. I wouldn't have been able
to use that test if WinXP was only available on VB.

Anyway, something to think about...

Added note: if you copy your linux partition over to the larger hardrive
with gparted, you might want to change the uuid afterwards, see:
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/202144>
[dd + gparted + UUID]