Problems installing 10.04-beta2

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 18:34:04 UTC 2010

On 04/19/2010 12:13 PM, Edgars Šmits wrote:
> I need to install a new hard disk on my Dell laptop, so I thought I
> might as well try 10.04-beta2 for AMD64 before I swap drives, just to
> see how it runs.
I gather your hard drive is toast and does not even run. True?

Is your laptop CPU a dual port type? I have not seen this in a laptop.

>   I downloaded the iso file, made a USB startup key,
> and rebooted. Up comes the Ubuntu start asking if I want to do a LIVE
> test, click yes, and the system starts to boot. After the initial
> kernel load the screen screws up - basically the screen shows large
> white bars with some black interspersed. Keeps loading, I hear the
> desktop finish loading with the familiar sound, but my screen is still
> f----ed up and I can get no response to any keyboard activity.

All of this is with a LiveCD is that correct? If so boot up again and
select NOT to load the software.

If it does not boot up then there is something more than a hard drive
not working. You might want to try a new download of a 10.04-beta2 which
is for a plain single CPU.

Good Luck. 73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI