How to recover deleted files

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 12:15:32 UTC 2010

On 04/19/2010 05:36 AM, Odd wrote:
> Vijay Shanker Dubey wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
>>
>>> Nevertheless, I really wonder who told you deleting something means
>>> unmounting. You don't delete a drive on Windows when you want to
>>> remove it.
>>>
>> Sorry to say. But i am not agree with you. Mounting means pointing
>> some hard disk space in the file system to my /media directory. If I
>> am deleting a pointer why should my data at the pointer will be
>> deleted. All I want to know is this much.
>>
>> There is another thing like symliks(shortcuts in windows). I thought
>> of mounting as this only. It is ridiculous if Deleting a shortcut
>> will cause the data to be deleted. :(
>>
> I'm puzzled why you would think a Linux mount point is the same
> as a shortcut in Windows. Linux is not Windows, just as MacOS
> is not Windows. I you want other OSes to behave like Windows,
> I suggest it would be more logical to stay with Windows.
>
> Doing random stuff in the Windows console can easily get you into
> trouble too.
>

>> By the way No body told me that. It was my intuition and I did not
>> verify. My Fault of course.  Learned the lesion very hard way.
>>
> I hope you also learned the value in having backups? Because
> that's the real lesson of this story.

         Yes a backup would save the day. But very few home users back
up even now and then. So I see in my Lucid 10.04 that Ubuntu is starting
to use the method of delete to a trash can of things on your desktop. I
just sent some pictures to Wal Mart for prints from my Desktop. When I
tried to delete the pictures I was not given the choice of delete. I
could send them to trash.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI