grub sees 2 out of 3 systems...lucky me

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Mon Apr 19 00:55:41 UTC 2010

I was running Hardy, Jaunty, and Debian Lenny on the desktop box.
Decided to go from Jaunty to Karmic via the upgrade route. First thing I
noticed was Karmic's grub didn't see Hardy. Oh, bother (paraphrased)
said I and reinstalled Jaunty with a clean install. Now Jaunty's grub
didn't see Hardy. Since Hardy was my workhorse I reinstalled it via a
clean install. Now Hardy can't see Jaunty. All three Ubuntus saw Debian.
With the Jaunty and Karmic installs I tried copying the grub stanzas for
Hardy to the respective menu.lst files but got "files not found" (approx
wording) when I tried booting Hardy. With Hardy I copied the Jaunty
stanzas and got the same result when I tried to boot Jaunty.

I *think* the problem may have to do with not having the right UUIDs for
what I copied into the menu.lst files. Do UUids change on multiple
installs of the same version?

Anyone know a way out of this?

--
Bob Holtzman