Merge two small disks into one large

Luis Paulo luis.barbas at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 22:50:00 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 18 April 2010 21:08, Luis Paulo <luis.barbas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't do that as the second part of the migration is to move to a
>>> new motherboard which only has one IDE, which I need for CD/DVD
>>> drives.  the new disc is SATA.
>>>

>> Butyou do have SATA on the "old" motherboard?
>>

> Yes, the old one has two IDE and one SATA.
> I see that for some reason my last reply went to you personally rather
> than the list, sorry about that.  Normally I just click Reply and it
> goes to the list.
>
> Colin

If you really don't want to make news installations, and that's the
last time I'll talk about it :), you need a "clone" software to clone
the linux and the XP systems to the new disk.

I've used Norton Ghost at work, it works fine for full disk cloning,
with the option of resizing of partitions. You'll have to install it
on your XP, create a boot diskette or CD, and work from there.

There are also linux ghost software, from g4l, g4u, etc... just google
for it, I can't recommend any, but gparted was recommend here.

If it was me, I'll go for full disk cloning in any case, to avoid Win
to get messed up with partition order. Just me, not knowing much of
win, but I had issues with it.

Well if it was me I'll partition the new disk, install linux from
scratch, with lvm, raid (I'll get another disk) and xfs (maybe ext2
for /boot), configure it, then create a virtual machine for XP. Oops,
did it again :)

Other people will help with the cloning, I have not experience with it on linux.

Good luck
Luis