download linux kernel 2.6.33.2

Xander Pirdy xander.pirdy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 18:05:45 UTC 2010

On 4/17/10, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 6:33 PM, axel <uraliin.asti at btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 18:23 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

Fairly certain that you mean Ubuntu 8.04 with Linux Kernel 2.6.24-7
generic, your bios is hardware specific and is stored on hardware
built into the motherboard. See bellow:

>>> I'm afraid it's a little more complicated than that, and the newer
>>> kernel will not help you. Indeed it will probably break your PC if you
>>> did manage to install it, so excuse me if I do not tell you how or
>>> point you at web pages about it!
>>>
>>> Do you update your system regularly? It is a good idea to do so. You
>>> are on the current Long Term Support release of Ubuntu - the next one,
>>> which replaces your current one, is currently in the final stages of
>>> testing and will be out at the end of this month. If you want the
>>> latest kernel and so on, when the new version, called 10.04, is
>>> available, you should upgrade to it. Backup all your data first,
>>> though!
>>>
>>> For now, though, you can update your system with the latest fixes and
>>> so on by opening a terminal (from the Accessories menu, or press
>>> Ctrl-Alt-T) then type these 2 commands:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get update
>>>
>>> (wait for that to finish; it may take some minutes.)
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
>>>
>>> (again, this might take quite a long time. Wait for it to finish and
>>> do not interrupt it once it has started.)
>>
>> Thank you for the info!
>> I did follow your suggestion and got the following:
>>
>> < axel at axel-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Calculating upgrade... Done
>> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>> axel at axel-laptop:~$ >
>>
>> Do you think this will cure....for the time being .... the problem I
>> have ...i.e problem with accessing Ops System ?
>> Thank you .
>> Axel.
>
> OK, well, that message indicates that your system is up-to-date, so
> you must have been applying updates to it as you go along. That's
> good.
>
> So nothing has changed, in which case, no, I don't think it will have
> helped, I'm afraid.
>
> Can you write down & post the /exact, verbatim/ error message(s) you
> are getting when your machine won't boot?
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/liamproven
> Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
> AOL/AIM/iChat/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • LiveJournal/Twitter: lproven
> MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Your problem to me sounds unrelated to ubuntu, I have seen that error
message before and I am fairly sure that it comes directly from the
bios, though there are similar error messages from grub.

So first figure out whether it is the bios or grub that is giving you
the error. This is probably a grub legacy setup, so if you see the
messages at the top that start with "Stage" (1.5 is the main one I
think): then grub is your problem.

IF GRUB -
I would maybe try re-installing grub if that is so or try upgrading to
grub 2. Neither of these are really simple processes, and there are
potential pitfalls, so don't just try to "Download and Install",
without reading the fine print.

IF BIOS (or just for good measure)-
Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website (or laptop manufacturer
if that is the case) and see if it needs to be updated, and then if
you feel confident doing it (they are often fairly easy but you always
risk permanently bricking your machine, if you mess up and forget to
check something, power dies etc).

I have always seen this error after a terrible windows crash, and I
can't figure out why it would be happening, but afterwords I go into
the bios and it has disabled my main hard drive as a boot device, so I
just reset it. It is a minor annoyance, but it happens so rarely I am
not concerned. Also a reboot usually fixes mine.

I take it from the above post that you can boot this machine which
makes me think that it you might have a very similar situation? Are
you dual booting? Do you often have hard restarts (power failure, full
system crashes where you have to unplug it, or hold the button down
etc?) If so I would try to fix those, and you may see this stop.
Something else is that the motherboard may have physically degraded
since you got it and it is causing this glitch as well (check the
capacitors and make sure they aren't bloaded, and that nothing is
there that could be giving you shorts). Also check your power supply,
as it might not be performing as it should.

Good luck,
Xander