installing codecs

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 09:50:46 UTC 2010

2010/4/9 Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com>:
> I am doing some volunteer work at a school in Panama.  There are 15
> donated desktop computers.  12 have XP and the rest Vista.  I will
> install Edubuntu to dual boot.  There is no internet access for these
> computers.  I need to install codecs so that we can play videos and
> music.  I will be installing using a dvd I made from a download.  Can
> I somehow add the codecs to the DVD?  Or how else should I do this?
>

> thanks
>
> gary

There were too many replies to this thread for me to read so I didn't
read them all, but I reply anyway:
When you install something with Synaptic, on a computer that has an
Internet connection, you can choose to only download the packages, not
installing them. I haven't tried this myself, but I guess you could do
that and then burn them on a CD or DVD and install them from there.
There will be some extra work, but maybe if you write a bash script to
do the work for you and include that script on the CD/DVD, then you
only need to run that script on every computer after installing Ubuntu
on them.

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg