Merging video files with subtitles

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Apr 16 18:46:38 UTC 2010

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 00:53 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 17/04/10 00:30, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>> Does anyone know any easy way to merge a video file (like AVI) with a
>>> text file with subtitles (like a SRT file), preferably without re
>>> encoding the video?
>>>

>>> I googled it, but could not find an easy solution.
>>>
>> Is AVIDEMUX used for this sort of thing? But why not have a look in the
>> list of packages available in Ubuntu (eg, Synaptic Package Manager) - I
>> think that I saw some which may do what you want.
>

> I tried Avidemux, and merged an SRT file with its corresponding AVI
> file, through SRT filter, however the subtitles did not show up when I
> played the produced AVI with VLC.

AVI file does not support embedded softsubs per se.  I believe there
have been some people doing that, but whether or not a given player will
be able to support it? *shrugs*.

You need to mux the video and audio from the avi file into a container
that will also be able to take the sub file.  I would suggest mkvmerge.
  mp4 files are also a popular choice, but I found the open source
muxing software to be... limited.  (mkv is practically the standard now
in Anime fansubbing world.  You occasional see some mp4 and even ogm
files, but they rare.)