Whoa! Is this for real?!

Li Li li2005lilly at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 16:25:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 08:02 -0700, Steve Grace wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
> > On 14 April 2010 15:36, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> >>
> >> Earlier today I installed Lucid Beta 2 on a set of HDs which had XP
> >> installed  - Lucid replaced another Linux distro which dual-booted with XP.
> >>
> >> A few minutes ago I went to see what was on the Windows partitions - and
> >> there were none showing in Lucid! There are no entries in fstab for all
> >> the XP partitions.
> >>
> >> Why didn't the installation process pick up on these partitions and
> >> include them in the fastab? Is it something which I missed doing during
> >> the install stage or is this a (nasty) "feature" of Ubuntu? I didn't
> >> bother to check what the disk partitoner was doing during the
> >> installation because the other distro I've been using - openSUSE - sees
> >> and puts them into fstab automatically.
> >
> > I believe that the installer does not automatically include other
> > partitions in fstab.  They should be visible in the Places menu so
> > they can be mounted on demand.

> That's been my experience as well -- if you want the XP partitions in
> fstab you'll need to add them.

You can also set this up at install-time if you use the expert
partitioning choice, maybe it's called "Manual Partitioning," I forget.

You just select "Change" for any windows partition you want auto-mounted
and give it a name like Win-data and it will go into fstab.  Works for
me with Lucid on the one machine I still have any leftover Windows stuff
on.

--
Lilly
godbless --everyone --no-exceptions