How do move large number of files ?

Tom Ashley tomashleyjr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 10:28:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:42:40 -0400
John DeCarlo <johndecarlo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:09 PM, MirJafar Ali <mirjafarali at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I have very huge number of files in one directory that I wish to
> > move to some other folder and
> > the standard  "mv" just screames
> >

> You could also use Dolphin or the like.  Split screen, navigate to
> both directories, select a thousand files, drag across to move,
> select some more, etc.

I've had success with mmv.

 mmv is a program to move/copy/append/link multiple files according to a set of
 wildcard patterns. This multiple action is performed safely, i.e. without any
 unexpected deletion of files due to collisions of target names with existing
 filenames or with other target names.

HTH

Tom Ashley

Tom Ashley