Password Recovery from stolen hard drive

p.echols at comcast.net p.echols at comcast.net
Tue Apr 13 22:55:58 UTC 2010

----- "Ray Parrish" <crp at cmc.net> wrote:

> p.echols at comcast.net wrote:
> > ----- "Maxime Alarie" <malarie at processia.com> wrote:
> >

> Just write a script which send you an email via sendmail or some other
>
> mail serving program on  your computer. When you receive that email,
> it
> will contain the actual ip address the email was sent from in the
> email
> headers.
>

> I'm glad that other guy mentioned this, I think I'll write a script to
>
> do that on my machine to protect it from theft. It's  great idea!

Where would you have that script run?  You want it to send when booted, it can't be a userspace script (Since they can't login) and if no wired network, you would need to have a wireless that connects automagically to any wireless.  If I recall correctly, network manager is userspace, not sure about wicd.

Since I'll be looking at a new laptop soon, I'd be interested in knowing what you come up with.

--PE