Password Recovery from stolen hard drive

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 13 21:17:57 UTC 2010

On 04/13/2010 10:23 AM, p.echols at comcast.net wrote:
> Last night my laptop was stolen.  Is it possible for an attacker,
> having possession of the hard drive, to determine my login password?
>

> How about stored in Thunderbird for email login?  Browser cache and /
> or firefox saved passwords?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- PE

For the future, this might be of interest:
http://www.martin-evans.me.uk/node/57
[How to protect my laptop when it is stolen]
http://preyproject.com/

Note: there was/is Adeona, but they've issued this warning:
http://adeona.cs.washington.edu/documents.html
<quote>
(Update, October 2009.) Adeona depends on the availability of a separate
service, OpenDHT. On July 1, OpenDHT was taken down. We have taken the
opportunity to set up OpenDHT again on PlanetLab, under our
administration. However, we are still testing our OpenDHT
infrastructure. Therefore, at this time we are not encouraging new
downloads of Adeona.
</quote>

Prey (I've not tried it yet, but looks interesting so I might give it a
spin) can be used on multiboots (Win, Mac, Linux). Also it can be set up
to work in standalone mode. Code is opensource.

Generally using ddclient to communicate with dyndns.org will give you an
IP of your laptop if it gets on the net. Unfortunately (and may be the
case in 'prey' as well), if you have multiple devices setting behind a
nat router, all using ddclient, they all will report the same IP
address. If they are all hammering out ddclient into to dyndns.org at
different intervals, dyndns.org may suspend your account temporarily.