home server

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 13 21:03:47 UTC 2010

On 04/12/2010 07:44 PM, Luis Paulo wrote:
> Always learning. :)
>
> My server don't have X, so it surely helps. How the heck does it works?
> hehehe
>
> Easy way to do this gui-wise is simply Places|Connect to
>> Server|SSH|server IP address.
>>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_file_transfer_protocol
>
> Do I only have to install the ssh server/client to get this?
> Never mind. I'll look into it. :)
> Thanks

This didn't make it through to the list the first time, so I'll try
again. Sorry if the original shows up later:

$ sudo apt-get install ssh
(on both machines of course)

On the desktop machine:
Places|Connect to Server|SSH|server IP address
That will bring up the remote as a folder in Nautilus (sftp on <IP
Address>. To do rsync/grsync, the mounted sftp folder is in ~/.gvfs.
Example:

$ ls -al ~/.gvfs
total 16
dr-x------   3 gg gg     0 2010-04-13 08:43 .
drwxrwxr-x 222 gg gg 12288 2010-04-13 10:40 ..
drwx------   1 gg gg  4096 2010-04-11 16:20 sftp on 192.168.2.102

The last one is of course the remote. I can drag & drop files to/from
nautilus, use grsync, etc., etc. Be careful though, you have full access
to the remote file system.