Password Recovery from stolen hard drive

Maxime Alarie malarie at processia.com
Tue Apr 13 18:52:22 UTC 2010

"How would you script that?  9 times out of 10 I expect that the laptop
would report a private address like 192.168.0.15  Useless information
unless I had a way to log back into the laptop from where ever I was.  A
pipe dream I think."

#!/bin/bash

echo Your external IP Address is:
wget http://Www.whatismyip.com -O - -o /dev/null | grep '<TITLE>' | sed
-r 's/<TITLE>WhatIsMyIP\.com \- //g' | sed -r 's/<\/TITLE>//g'

exit 0

(You can also use gedit instead of nano, but I chose to use nano above
in case this is done through a remote text-based connection)

Press Ctrl + O, Enter, Ctrl + X, then run:
chmod u+x bin/whatismyip.sh

Now you can check your external IP Address by running:
~/bin/whatismyip.sh
...in a terminal.

Source: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-526176.html