Installing Ubuntu in a very poor performace machine...

Xander Pirdy xander.pirdy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 05:27:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 1:18 AM, arshad <arshad3m at gmail.com> wrote:
> A friend of mine needs to have Ubuntu installed in his machine which has
> 10GB HDD, 128mb RAM, 32mb VGA, 800GHz processor.
> I tried installing hardy, jaunty and karmic but all got stuck in the
> middle for some reasons i don't know. I think its due to the low
> resources of the machine.
> Is it possible to install jaunty in his hdd by plugging it into my
> motherboard?
>
> mine is a core to duo and all other specifications are different from
> him.
>
> please give some advice.
>
> thanks a lot.

I wouldn't suggest trying to run any of the ubuntu's with only 128MB
of ram. In fact I think that most if not all of them won't install for
this reason (unless you maybe use the alternate install CD). And even
if you did the roundabout install I doubt they would run (except maybe
xubuntu, but from memory that even requires more than 128MB of ram).
What do you need this for? I would recommend looking into Puppy linux
or DSL. (I am partial to puppy and know that it installs and runs
fairly speedily for me even on machines with 128MB of ram, and on much
slower processors then 800MHz (I assume he doesn't have an 800GHz
processor).
-Xander