PLEASE HELP!!! RAID problems with 10.04

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 13 02:44:34 UTC 2010

On 04/12/2010 07:16 PM, Alvin Thompson wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:25 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> Maybe related? From the release notes:
>>
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/beta2 <quote> ... Activating a
>> RAID 1 array in degraded mode is reported to lead to RAID disks
>> being reported as in sync when they are not, resulting in data
>> loss. Since RAID 1 arrays will automatically be brought up in
>> degraded mode when a member disk is unavailable, users with
>> production software RAID 1 disks are advised not to upgrade to the
>> 10.04 LTS Beta until this bug is resolved. (557429) </quote>
>
> It's possible there are just a lot of problems with RAID right now,
> but this was RAID5, and since this was a pre-existing device, it was
> never in degraded mode.  I was also surprised to notice that the two
> devices I created during the install also did not appear to start in
> degraded mode (although they may have finished their re-sync before I
> noticed).

But you *did* read the release notes (including bug reports) *prior* to
trying 10.04... right? To be quite honest I'm clueless when it comes to
RAID. But I think that prior to trying 10.04 on a RAID, and having read
the release notes first, I'd be hesitant to try 10.04 until the issues
are/were resolved.

Suggest that you file a bug report on launchpad (no, not being facetious
here, I'm seriously suggesting you do this). Doing so may likely help
10.04 final, and help sort out your issue.