installing codecs

Ioannis Vranos cppdeveloper at ontelecoms.gr
Mon Apr 12 14:37:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 08:51 -0500, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Ioannis Vranos
> <cppdeveloper at ontelecoms.gr> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 08:12 -0500, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> >> I installed VLC, thanks for the tip.  I use it but did not realize it
> >> included the codecs for mp3.  It does not include mp 4.  Are there any
> >> other video formats it does not include?
> >

> > I am not sure whether you are right that it doesn't play MP4s. Doesn't
> > it play the following MP4 from youtube?
> >

> > http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=cCevnzsHN20&t=vjVQa1PpcFMWteDidmiJGCIu1rY_F5zYV00_SjOxvLU%3D&fmt=18
> >

> >> Also, how can I install the printer drivers to the install cd?  Or
> >> should I install them separately?
> >

> > I did not understand what you mean.
> >

> > Regards,
> >

> > --
> > Ioannis Vranos
> >
> > C95 / C++03 Software Developer
> >
> > http://www.cpp-software.net
> >

> > --
> >

> It would play the youtube as I installed the MP4 codec.

I checked it in a new installation, and found out that along with VLC a
few libraries are also installed.

So, the only solution I can think for your issue, is to create an
"update CD", as it is described in the article:

http://my.opera.com/ubuntunerd1/blog/how-to-create-an-ubuntu-update-cd-dvd

> I do not think that ubutu comes with printer drivers, as least when I
> went to install a printer a bit ago it wanted an internet connection
> so i assumed that meant there were no drivers included.

The only solution I can think for your issues, is to create an Update
CD, described in the article mentioned above.

Perhaps you can use the free VirtualBox, to create a new Ubuntu
installation in a virtual machine in your PC, and install the updates
and other packages, so as to create an update CD.

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net