Screen Saver Bug # 560298

Xander Pirdy xander.pirdy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 14:37:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/11/2010 11:31 PM, Tom H wrote:

>>> My computer is in my shop and no person can even see it. I have all
>>> my versions turned off because I retired with a good nest egg 20 years
>>> ago and there is no one trying to find out my information.  The Version
>>> Lucid 10.04 is the FIRST version to set up the default wait time to 5
>>> minutes, and set the requirement for a password, and use a see-through
>>> screen saver. This IS NEW!
>>>
>> I have just rechecked the settings. You are right, in Karmic, the
>> screensaver kicks in after five minutes but it does not lock the
>> screen.
>>
>> It is not a bug though but good design whether your computer is locked
>> in your basement or not. Your bug will either be ignored or closed as
>> invalid.
>>

>         Well it appears the REAL problem was the need to provide a
> password every 5 minutes. That is quite too much. Yes it is possible
> since the earlier versions did not require a password, they were just a
> minor problem until you discovered you could turn off the problem.
>
>     I can see just, that business people at work would want to make
> their computers tamper proof or their laptops the same. Ubuntu lets you
> do this. I object to it being set up this way as a default setup.
>
> 73 Karl

Karl,

Please stop.

Defaults are by necessity arbitrated, since no defaults will be
everyone's ideal.

I personally would much rather that the system defaulted to a secure setup.

While I see that this has added a little bit of hassle to your
installation, it may have removed some from mine.

I find it fairly rude that you would think to suggest a bug report on
something that is clearly NOT a bug (see above if you are unclear on
definition).

It is a waste of everyone's time, and I am sick of it in my inbox. If
you need help turning this option off feel free to ask.
-Xander