Screen Saver Bug # 560298

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 12:23:42 UTC 2010

On 04/11/2010 11:31 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Karl Larsen<klarsen1 at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> The bug was updated because of standard triage not developer interest.
>>>
>>> If I were you, I would apologize for wasting the developers' time and
>>> close it. I have just installed Karmic and it has exactly the same
>>> screensaver setting (and Jaunty, Intrepid, Hardy, ... probably had it
>>> too); a five-minute grace period is almost too long from a security
>>> perspective.
>>>
>> My computer is in my shop and no person can even see it. I have all
>> my versions turned off because I retired with a good nest egg 20 years
>> ago and there is no one trying to find out my information.  The Version
>> Lucid 10.04 is the FIRST version to set up the default wait time to 5
>> minutes, and set the requirement for a password, and use a see-through
>> screen saver. This IS NEW!
>>
> I have just rechecked the settings. You are right, in Karmic, the
> screensaver kicks in after five minutes but it does not lock the
> screen.
>
> It is not a bug though but good design whether your computer is locked
> in your basement or not. Your bug will either be ignored or closed as
> invalid.

         Well it appears the REAL problem was the need to provide a
password every 5 minutes. That is quite too much. Yes it is possible
since the earlier versions did not require a password, they were just a
minor problem until you discovered you could turn off the problem.

     I can see just, that business people at work would want to make
their computers tamper proof or their laptops the same. Ubuntu lets you
do this. I object to it being set up this way as a default setup.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User