Looking for serial terminal program

Chuck Kuecker ckuecker at ckent.org
Mon Apr 12 01:53:55 UTC 2010

J wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 13:26, Chuck Kuecker <ckuecker at ckent.org> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, GtkTerm has no ability to cut and paste at all. Control
>> characters get sent right on to the serial port - but you would want
>> that to happen. Mouse click and drag can highlight text, but there's no
>> right-click menu to do anything with the highlighted text.
>>
>> The Ubuntu terminal has a right-click that brings up a popup with cut
>> and paste options, and click and drag highlights text to be copied. The
>> mention of putty made me think - why not just telnet into the unit over
>> the Ethernet port? That works OK once Linux is up, but I need to be able
>> to communicate with Redboot, which is only available on the serial port,
>> to download new code and program flash.
>>

> Aside from cut and paste, what about just highlight and paste?  at
> least for Xterm all I need to do is open something to paste into (like
> gedit, or XChat, pastebin, whatever), highlight what I want in the
> terminal then middle click (3rd button click) in the receiving
> program...
>
> I've found, that at least with Xterm, usual copy-paste things don't
> work and the control chars get dumped to the terminal... but that way
> has always seemed to work for some reason.

THANK YOU! That works. Being a 'native' Windoze user, I didn't realize
that Ubuntu might use that middle button at all.

I just cut something from a Ubuntu terminal window using the right click
menu, and dropped it into GtkTerm with the middle button. So, now I can
copy all the load and flash commands a line at a time from a text file,
and avoid all that typing!

Thanks again!

Chuck Kuecker