Looking for serial terminal program

Chuck Kuecker ckuecker at ckent.org
Sun Apr 11 17:26:30 UTC 2010

Xander Pirdy wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Alfredo De Luca
> <alfredo.deluca at gmail.com <mailto:alfredo.deluca at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Well....
>     try putty!!
>
>     It works fine with with me!
>

>     On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 14:52, Henry Dubb <henry.dubb at gmail.com
>     <mailto:henry.dubb at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Sounds like you need the Terminator. It might be Beta but it
>         is in Software Center. You can also split screen so you have
>         several windows.
>

>         On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Chuck Kuecker
>         <ckuecker at ckent.org <mailto:ckuecker at ckent.org>> wrote:
>
>             Hi,
>
>             I am currently using GtkTerm to communicate with my
>             embedded Linux
>             project. It works fine, except for the fact that I cannot
>             cut and paste
>             anything in or out of it.
>

> I might be misunderstanding your  problem and I apologize if this is
> too obvious but doesn't ctrl-shift-c and ctrl-shift-p work? From what
> I know the shift is necessary in the terminals. I don't know
> specifically about gtkterm, and can't find out on its page.
>
> -xander
Unfortunately, GtkTerm has no ability to cut and paste at all. Control
characters get sent right on to the serial port - but you would want
that to happen. Mouse click and drag can highlight text, but there's no
right-click menu to do anything with the highlighted text.

The Ubuntu terminal has a right-click that brings up a popup with cut
and paste options, and click and drag highlights text to be copied. The
mention of putty made me think - why not just telnet into the unit over
the Ethernet port? That works OK once Linux is up, but I need to be able
to communicate with Redboot, which is only available on the serial port,
to download new code and program flash.

Telnet will allow me to cut and paste in the regular Ubuntu terminal
window, so I am set for now. Ubuntu is currently updating, so I can't
try installing Terminator or putty right now, but they are on my list.

Thanks to all.

Chuck Kuecker