installing codecs

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sun Apr 11 12:56:52 UTC 2010

On 04/11/2010 07:53 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

>> Repos aren't much help for machines with no Internet access!

Beg to differ.. see below.

> I have decided to give mint a try, I would need to add all the
> education programs though so I will need Apton.  So I would have to
> install Mint on my Dell mini 10 and hope that it work, or I can
> install Mint on the regular laptop.  Add the education programs and
> then make another CD.  This assumes that Mint does not come with
> education programs already installed, like edubuntu does.
> gary

Gary, sorry for late response, thought the apton-cd might work.
If you prefer edubuntu, ubuntu or kubuntu instead of others, you might
try this

First, get the one computer (with internet) in full update and with all
apps and codecs in place. Then make a dir, say in your home ~/Repo.

At terminal type the following...
sudo apt-get autoclean
<or> sudo aptitude autoclean (depending on what you use)
sudo cp /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb ~/Repo
cd /Repo     <to be at /Repo to make below command>
sudo dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip -9c > Packages.gz

Then burn a cd of contents of Repo, making sure package.gz is there.
With this cd, go to all the other computers without internet and at
terminal do this...

sudo apt-cdrom add

This will prompt you to name the cd,
then whatever apps and codecs you want to install...
sudo apt-get (or aptitude) install <whateever>

This will prompt you to put in the cd that you made and continue with
installation.

You should have the other computers updated.

Hope this helps.

Regards - Goh Lip