Using a 40 gig SSD

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 16:55:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Sandy Harris <sandyinchina at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have acquired a 40 gig solid state disk, wonder how best to use it.
>
> Context is a single-user desktop, Xubuntu on 2666 MHz Core 2
> with 4 gigs of RAM. Current setup uses a hard drive with separate
> partitions for / /usr and /var with about 1, 7 and 1 gig used
> respectively.
>
> What file system should I consider for the SSD? Should I put
> only / and /usr there and have the more volatile /var on
> rotating storage? Any other advice?

My tuppen'orth:

For a simple life, put / on the SSD and /home and the swap partition
on rotating media. I see no particularly good reason for separate
filesystems for /usr and /var on modern single-user machines. On a
critical server with lots of storage, possibly, yes.

I'd be inclined to leave them all as ext3. I don't see any advantage
to ext4 just yet except on terabyte-class disks.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508