installing codecs

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 13:35:17 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 3:54 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Or, shudder... I hear that linuxmint has all of the codecs already
> included (never used it, so google). Other alternatives:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives

Why the shudder? I'm using Mint quite widely these days, although my
own main desktop machine still runs Ubuntu. You get media playback,
Flash, Java etc. out of the box, Thunderbird instead of Evolution,
Pidgin instead of Empathy (both of these echo my own choices), a
decorative green theme, and a default desktop that uses less space
than Ubuntu & GNOME's default 2 panels, uses it more efficiently & is
rather more familiar to Windows migrants.

It's pretty good. Honestly. All the polish (& updates &c.) of Ubuntu,
a slightly (to me) better choice of apps, & codecs preinstalled.
What's not to like?

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508