Unattended uodate?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 9 23:24:01 UTC 2010

On 04/09/2010 11:14 AM, Grizzly wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Just wondered is therea way toget the upgrade (9.10 >10.04 beta2)  from Alt CD
> to run unatteded?
>
> I know it will stop at
> a Warning about losing apps (Bluetooth, Chess ets)
> then Grub CMD line
> after that I don't know coz patience runs out that late at night (when else is
> there that many hours of down time)

Not that I'm aware of; I suppose that you could write a script to do
this, but I'm not sure how you'd handle the questions when they pop up
as you wouldn't know what they could be. You know that you can do an
offline upgrade with an altCD. Much faster than waiting for all the
updates to download.

Note/caution: the last time I tried this with an lucid alpha altCD it
wasn't working, but suspect that it's probably been fixed by now. In
karmic & earlier you just unplugged the machine from the
ethernet/wireless, put in the altCD & select whatever the option is to
upgrade directly from the CD w/o networking. I've got a machine that I
can test this on this weekend if you'd like to wait. Either way, after
the upgrade you're still going to need to download a buttload of updates
anyway, so my recommendation would be to wait for some time after the
final release (usually 10-20 days) to do this, particularly if this is
your only machine.