Backuppc file missing

Loïc Grenié loic.grenie at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 14:00:52 UTC 2010

2010/4/9 user1 <bqz69 at telia.com>:
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 14:52:36 +0200, Loïc Grenié wrote:
>
>> 2010/4/9 Joep L. Blom <jlblom at neuroweave.nl>:
>>> I know this is not the backuppc list but I'm trying for a very long
>>> time to get backuppc performing useful tasks, but I don't succeed. In
>
> This might be another backup idea which I find very easy to use:
>
> I have installed my ubuntu on sda1 on a partition of 30 gb size - seems
> to be a reasonably size for me.
>
> I use puppy linux live cd to backup the whole partition onto an external
> usb harddisk, and it takes aproximately 24 minutes to make a backup.
> You might use the knoppix live cd newest version 6.2 for the same task.
>
> I use the dd command.
>
> Here is the command I use on puppy for the backup of /dev/sda1:
>
> dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/mnt/sdb1/filename.img
>
> In order to restore the partition the command should be:
>
> dd if=/mnt/sdb1/filename.img of=/dev/sda1

    This is not a very good idea: it is usually better to have the files
  already distributed in directories (instead of a big monolithic file).
  I think

rsync -r /whatever /mnt/sdb1/backup

  would probably be easier to use. Moreover backuppc has two
  advantages. The first is that it keeps an history of your backup
  (you can find old files that have long been canceled or modified)
  -- you can do similar things with rsync. However backuppc is also
  able to share a backup between several hosts (I don't think it is
  possible with anything else).

      Hope this helps,

           Loïc

      Hope this helps,