Thunderbird and launching Firefox browser

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 8 02:56:34 UTC 2010

On 08/04/10 12:27, sdavmor wrote:
> On 04/07/2010 05:33 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 08/04/10 05:36, sdavmor wrote:
>>

>>> I had this problem with TB when I started getting the
>>> pre-release nightly upgrades for TB. I had to manually reattach
>>> the link to FF from inside TB options.
>>>

>> Thanks for the response but it doesn't provide me with the solution
>> :-) : what does "manually reattach the link to FF" mean?
>>
>> BC
>>
> When I clicked on a link that would have gone to the web a dialog box
> popped up from which I browsed to Firefox. I am surprised it didn't do
> so for you. But be that as it may. As NoOp has pointed out it should
> all be resolvable by installing thunderbird-gnome-support.

I got the prompt only the first time 'round - and did not get it again
when TB was upgraded.

(BTW, the version of TB, and FF, comes from Ubuntu repos and not from,
say, ubuntuzilla.)

I received the answer from Doug in another thread (to do with Users
Digest :-) in this list) which I will repeat here so that others
following this thread know about the solution.

To get TB to activate a a link in the browser delete the file
*mimeTypes.rdf* in the thunderbird profile directory
(~/.thunderbird/*.default). This file will be recreated the next time
you start TB; and when you click on a link in TB you will get the prompt
where you can then put in the choice of browser for TB to use. Yes, this
requires you to find your way to the file (at the moment, here, it is
/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.3/*firefox)*, but this is not rocket science.

As NoOp states, this should be done automatically by Ubuntu itself but
at the moment you will need to do this fix manually whenever FF is upgraded.

BC