8.04 still a fine version

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 8 00:24:23 UTC 2010

On 08/04/10 05:07, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010, Basil Chupin wrote:
>

>> On 07/04/10 16:58, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>

>>> I don't pretend to be an authority on security but from what I
>>> understand malware can take advantage of holes in applications without
>>> having to crack the system password. Anyone want to correct me?
>>>

>> I am not a security expert either but what makes Linux 99.9999% more
>> secure than the "other" [ugh!] is that to do any damage to the system
>> one has to execute a program as ROOT - this is what the OP really meant
>> by the reference to 'password and name'. If some malware does get thru
>> and somehow gets activated then the only damage it may be able to do is
>> only to whatever is the user's HOME directory; want to do anything
>> outside your own HOME directory you need become root (using sudo for
>> example) and then also provide a password.
>>
> That's the standard story when speaking of linux security

But, but.....

>   and it's
> correct as far as it goes. The problem for a home user is that if your
> home directory where you keep personal data gets corrupted/trashed by
> malware and you don't have a ***recent*** backup you have a big problem.

...this applies to every operating system and not just a Linux distro.

Nevertheless, your chances of being 'hacked' by using a Linux distro are
negligible so you are already way ahead on points :-)
> It's not a big deal to reload the OS and software but unbacked up
> personal data can be lost.

Firstly, you shouldn't have sensitive data sitting on your computer -
your computer doesn't have to be hacked for you to lose your data: the
computer could be stolen. And secondly, do backups of your data - the
only "sensitive data" which I have is my Thunderbird mail so I backup
this up at least daily (as well as the Firefox directory).

BC