Installed VirtualBox - but where is it?

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 18:50:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp>wrote:

> 1) Synaptic shows "virtualbox-ose-source" to be installed
> there are a number of other packages too, like "guest" etc., but I have
> no idea what they are for.

Here is my attempt at "Regular Joe" instructions.

1.  Installing anything from Synaptic that ends in "-source" means you don't
have the program, just the source code.

   1.a.  Generally, don't choose to install any packages ending in
"-source".  It isn't a program you can run.  If it is needed, Synaptic will
figure that out and install it.

2.  Install "virtualbox-ose"

3.  Look around in Synaptic.  There are many conventions that aren't fully
explained.

    3.a.  If it ends in "-dbg", it is a special version with extra stuff in
it to help "debug" problems.  Don't install it unless you have a problem and
the *author* asks you to.

    3.b.  If it ends in "-doc", it is extra documentation.  Generally, you
don't need this unless you run into issues you want to investigate yourself.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own