8.04 still a fine version

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 7 07:35:24 UTC 2010

On 07/04/10 16:58, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, Karl Larsen wrote:

>>> What will you do when security fixes stop coming in, what, a year?
>>>

>>          Just keep using it. The password and name keeps Linux 1000
>> times more secure than Windows!
>>
> I don't pretend to be an authority on security but from what I
> understand malware can take advantage of holes in applications without
> having to crack the system password. Anyone want to correct me?

I am not a security expert either but what makes Linux 99.9999% more
secure than the "other" [ugh!] is that to do any damage to the system
one has to execute a program as ROOT - this is what the OP really meant
by the reference to 'password and name'. If some malware does get thru
and somehow gets activated then the only damage it may be able to do is
only to whatever is the user's HOME directory; want to do anything
outside your own HOME directory you need become root (using sudo for
example) and then also provide a password.

BC