nVidia

Sundar Nagarajan sun.nagarajan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 16:14:52 UTC 2010

Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On 04/05/2010 08:01 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>> On 04/04/2010 08:41 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>>> As a followup on nVidia problems, I finally was able to get to a
>>> terminal without X being loaded and ran the nVidia installer. It won't
>>> compile the module because of a compiler difference. I'm using Ubuntu
>>> 10.04 beta 1 and the video is a GeForce 6150 LE.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Fred
>>>
>>     Not help, but I too discovered early that Ubuntu 10.04 has both C
>> and C++ different than any other of the earlier Ubuntu versions. I had
>> to change all of my source codes to the other type. Not hard but a
>> pain. Your problem may not have a solution! Now you know the problem
>> at least.
>>

> Thanks, Karl. This makes sense from the error I rec'd when I tried to
> compile it. I guess I'll have to wait till they fix it. 'Wonder if
> they've fixed the ATI problems so many were having. 10.04 really needs
> to be "perfect" before it releases. Until recently, I only used
> SuSE....for YEARS, and remember more than 1 release that NEVER should
> have gone "gold" when it did!!
>
> Fred

Fred,

with a geForce 6150, you should be able to download a previous version
of the nvidia driver and use that. What has probably happened is that
the newer (read: newest) nvidia driver may be aligned with the latest
kernel version (not what Ubuntu 10.04 ships) that has a different ABI.

I am not SURE this is the problem, but it sounds possible / likely.

--
Sundar Nagarajan
Linux User #170123 | Ubuntu User #2805